Monday, May 26, 2008

Again With The Rift

Tonight I decided to cook..

I don't get that urge often so I thought I'd better make the most of it and whip up something that'll last me a few nights when inevitably I'll only want to nuke. The result was a delicious potato bake with salmon. I scooped a very fat portion onto my plate and ate it right there at the kitchen counter like the slob that I am.

As I shoved the steaming thousand degree potato bake into my face, I noticed something through the front window. It was an unusual glow coming from the street level below.

A street light? Lights from a car? Someone's plasma tv?
I dropped my fork onto my plate and headed closer to the front window for a look.

Peering down I could see it clearly. A fracture in the bitumen about a foot long.. and glowing green.

Frak.. not again.

This it the third time this year that the rift has opened, spewing God knows what kind of paranormal randomness onto the inhabitants of our sleepy little street. The first time it happened this year the hole was so big I'm sure cars disappeared into it.

The next morning the council sent out a team of gormless road workers to patch it up. The noobs tried to fix it by pouring it full of concrete and bitumen and sure enough after a bit of light rain, it opened up again.

Second time around they ripped up a good stretch of the road and resurfaced it. A better job that time around but we all know that rifts in time/space are unpredictable, difficult to close and highly dangerous. Time to call in the professionals.

Hopefully they'll fix it overnight and not bother me - since I'm on holidays and all. And I refuse to write another mindnumbing incident report. It's only a foot long and I'm sure nothing dangerous could have gotten through from the void.

Just to be sure though, I'm sleeping with a hammer..

No comments: